Saturday, March 6, 2010

Oscar fever

It's that time of year... Oscar time! If you're a fan like I am, you've been feeling Oscar fever since the nominations were announced. I think my favorite part of the Oscars is watching everyone arrive and walk the infamous red carpet. I've often day dreamed about being able to greet the attendees as they arrive. I hate that time is wasted asking the "who are you wearing?" question. Of course you have to comment on the fashion, because it is a big part of the night, but I love it when someone like Kathy Griffin fires off questions that are off the cuff. Here's a peek at some things I might like to say...

Penelope Cruz: "Penelope, you are the picture of elegance. Hopefully you've already started celebrating regardless of whether you win or not. Are you buzzed right now? With all of this free hooch, I know I am."

James Cameron: "James, you've directed two of the highest grossing films of all time, you already have 3 Oscars and you're up against your ex-wife in the Best Director category. Between you and me, don't you think it would be good if she won? I mean, if she did she'd be the first woman to win in the Best Director category. It's probably not too late to pull yourself out of the running."

Mo'Nique: "Mo'Nique, you're known for your comedy, and most people had probably not thought of you as a dramatic actress... Now you've gone and shown the world your dramatic acting chops and are the favorite for bringing home a statue tonight... It must feel so good to have this enormous invisible middle finger going out to anyone who ever doubted your capabilities as an actor."

Jeff Bridges: "Handsome Mr. Bridges is also a favorite to win in his category. Jeff, you acted and sang your ass off in this movie. You're the offspring of a Hollywood legend, which also probably doesn't hurt your chances... If anyone voted for you because you're the son of a Hollywood legend, would you care or, would you think f*ck it, after all of these years, it's my turn dammit!"

Oh the fun I'd have... I'm very fascinated by celebrities, particularly those who have gotten facial work done. I'm always so curios about how they look live and in the flesh. HD has given me some insights into that. It sure hasn't been kind to some, but hey, who am I to judge?

I wish more people would fess up to what they've had done and I would love to ask someone like Kenny Rogers if he has a sense of buyer's remorse over his results? I'd also love to know why someone who isn't really thought of for their beauty would get work done? Steve Martin, care to chime in???

Speaking of Steve Martin, I'm eager to see what kind of a job he and Alec Baldwin do as co-hosts. Since they recently made a film together, and both are hilarious in their own right, I don't know if they would be a good match for hosting an award show? I wonder how they came to mind in the first place? Was Craig Ferguson not available?

Because there are so many people who are slated as shoe-ins in their category, it takes away a little from the anxiety of who will win. It would be pretty fantastic if there were some surprises, but on the other hand I would love to see those shoe-ins go home winners...

Sandra Bullock - I didn't see the Blind Side, but I think it looks like a great feel-good movie and she seems to do well in it. I want to see her win because I think she deserves it not only for this particular role, but the many other roles she's played over the years that make her the talent she is today. I think she's paid her dues, she's knocked a few balls out of the park and is now ready to get hers. Meryl Streep - love her, but I'd hate to be nominated in any category that she's in because she's so above everyone else that it's like rain on a parade. That being said, for all of her many nominations, it is interesting that she hasn't won in over 15 years. I'm just sayin'... Gabourey Sidibe - here you have a virtual unknown who auditioned for Precious on the fly and look where she is today. I applaud her talent, but she's too young to win this prestigious award just yet, but I am hopeful for her future. Carey Mulligan, don't know her. Last but not least, we have Helen Mirren, the British version of Meryl Streep... she gets nominated for nearly everything she does. So much so I'm a little tired of seeing her name on the ballot. Give someone else a chance, will you?


Jeff Bridges - is much longer overdue for his win. There's been so much talk about how great he is in Crazy Heart (another movie I haven't seen), that I can't even remember who his competition is? Oh yes, Jeremy Renner - too new. Morgan Freeman - who doesn't adore Morgan Freeman? But, I just don't know if this movie is the right vehicle for him to win in this category. George Clooney - my delicious cupcake... I can't wait to see him in "Up in the Air", but I don't know if the role was strong enough to secure a win. Finally, there's Colin Firth. Now here's the only man in this category that I think might be another strong contender to win. Yet another movie I have yet to see, but given the accolades he's received thus far, plus the content of the film, and knowing how terrific an actor he is, I'd bet money that if the Oscar doesn't go to Jeff Bridges, it's going home with Mr. Firth.

As for the supporting roles, well, it seems Mo'Nique is the favorite to win for Supporting Actress and Christoph Waltz is a lock for Supporting Actor. The odds are pretty high in their favor, so I won't chirp much more about that.

Finally this leaves the last two big awards that anyone really gives a care about, and that is Best Director and Best Picture. Given that I haven't seen any of the movies that are nominated this year, I can't give an opinion on who I think should win for either category. But, I will say this... there should be a limit of 5 film nominations for Best Picture. Period.

Oscar night I'll be tuning in to see Barbara's Walter's last year of covering the Oscars, then I'll tune in to watch E! cover the red carpet. My only dilemma about Oscar night is the fact that it conflicts with the Big Love season finale. Thank God for DVR/Tivo.

See you at the Oscars!

No comments:

Post a Comment